4/20/10

Remembering Blue

Memory of the Day:

(2001) It's a summer day and I'm 9 years old. my step-dad (Shawn), step-mom (Toni), and other extended family are at Lake Michigan for the day. It smells like gasoline, hotdogs, and sunscreen. Shawn asks if I would like to go jet skiing. I'm scared, but I agree. I'm steering and Shawn is sitting behind me with Toni behind him. We go slow at first and I'm having fun. But then we speed up. I shut my eyes tight as we make a tight turn. All of a sudden, the jet ski stops. I open my eyes and look around to find that my step-parents have flown off and are treading several feet back, laughing. I can't believe I stayed on...

A couple days back, my old step-mom, Toni, contacted me. Since I haven't spoken to her since I was 9 years old, I was ecstatic. We've been emailing back and forth and she invited me to spend a week visiting with her this summer. I asked my dad and so far, it's a no. But it will be a yes. Fairly soon. I'm determined.

Today, I talked with her and what I guess I would call my step-sister, Megan, who Toni was 8 months pregnant with when I was removed from their house. We've never met, but she has already asked if I will be her big sister:)

Megan plays soccer and baseball and loves to read and write. She's never been on a jet ski because she's scared, but I assured her that your first time is always the best and to tell her mom and dad to take her. She's broken each arm once: the first time on a motorcycle and the second time jumping off a yoga ball in the livingroom. She even has her own snowmobile like I did when I was her age

August cannot come fast enough...

Megan (magenta with a hint of orange at the end- plastic feel)
Toni (shimmery seafoam green with a white outline- smells like pine)
Shawn (golden orange with a dot of light blue in the middle)
Michigan (dark blue that fades to ice blue- cold and hard like ice too)
August (cinnamon with hints of honey aorund the edges)

No comments:

Post a Comment